For Ride Headquarters’ grand opening on Sunday, August 21, in conjunction with great rides and supplier visits, Ride HQ is having a raffle and silent auction. RHQ is raising money for local trail conservation and road advocacy groups. Ride Headquarters is matching your donations dollar for dollar! Partner with Ride HQ support and protect our riding resources.
The three groups RHQ is equally dividing donated funds to are:
Ride HQ Raffle
Tickets are $5; each ticket enters you to win one of the following really valuable prizes — no filler:
- Honey Bikes – A voucher for $350 worth of component upgrades!
- HotShot – Two winners will each receive a HOTSHOT prize pack that includes a 12-pack of product, a HOTSHOT hat, a HOTSHOT journal, and some HOTSHOT squeeze bottles.
- Mavic – Mavic is offering their top-of-the line Cosmic Ultimate II shoes, a $400 value! This shoe isn’t yet available, winner will get the first pair available in yellow, winner has choice of size.
- Porto – $100 Gift Certificate for a fine meal and experience at Porto, a new restaurant that’s just opened in Back Bay. The owners of Porto have been supporters of ours for years.
- Search and State – Three winners will receive one of the following: an S1-J Riding Jacket, winner has choice of sex, color, and size; a full Search and State kit: S1-A Jersey and Bibs, winner has choice of sex, colors, and size; an SAS Hoodie too! Total value of these three packages is $815.
- Seven Cycles – A voucher for $400 worth of upgrades on a Seven bicycle!
- Velocio apparel – RECON Hardshell Jacket for men or women; the winner selects desired sex, size and color! – A $395 value!
Ride HQ Private Auction
The private auction is for four Red Sox tickets! The tickets are Row A1, which is right behind home plate and visible on TV. They come with a valet parking pass. The game is Sept. 18 against the New York Yankees, with both teams in the pennant race as of this writing. This is an ~$800 value! Proceeds of this silent auction go to MassBike who does very important advocacy and policy work for cyclists.
We hope to see you at the Opening and we hope you win something awesome!
I’ve been fortunate to work with the good people at Ride Studio Cafe on a new project: Ride Headquarters. The grand opening is on 21 August at 8:00 am. If you’re in the area of Sherborn, MA, please stop by; it’s going to be a great day of riding, talking bikes, and drinking coffee.
Here are a few of the expected highlights:
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 8am – Doors Open
- 8 – 10am – Breakfast Served
- 8:30am – Group Road Ride Departs, 35 miles
- 9am – 3pm – Supplier Expo
- 4:30pm – HUGE Raffle to be held – not necessary to be present to win. Proceeds go to non-profits who make riding better through their work.
Some of the people that will be at the Grand Opening
This list is growing daily. Keep checking back to see who will be here. Most of the suppliers listed will be contributing great products to our HUGE raffle. Details of the raffle will be posted prior to our Grand Opening. You won’t want to miss it!
[click to continue…]
A Bridge Too Far
Publicly, I try to separate my world views from my bike and work life. I don’t share my political leanings; I don’t talk about my thoughts on gender; I don’t share my religious views.
Today is different.
A website just posted a piece entitled, “The best custom bicycle builders in America.” The author included Seven Cycles. That’s cool, right?
Not today. That site is Playboy.
I tried to ignore it all and get on with “more important things.” But between recent political comments about “playing the woman’s card” and today’s WBUR’s #MoreThanMean I couldn’t ignore Playboy’s sad place in the 21st century — and Seven Cycles’ implicit condoning of that misogynistic outlet.
Playboy’s writer included Seven in the piece without our knowledge; we weren’t contacted or asked for content. They even used a photo from Seven’s Instagram account. Apparently we’re all “craftsmen,” too. I feel like I’m in the 1950’s today. For the record, about one-third of Seven’s employees are female; many work in production as “craftspeople.” Two of Seven’s original four founders are women. I could go on and on.
The perception that Seven had a role in being mentioned in Playboy is embarrassing and frustrating to me. I would not have agreed to it. It’s time to step into the 21st — or even 20th — century.
Seven had a brief article posted in Bicycle Retailer today. That was nice. Lots of growth for Seven this year even though many companies are laying off and the industry as a whole is in rough shape this season. So goes the bike industry.
“Seven Cycles says its flexibility — including programs offering retailers co-branded and store-specific designs — has led to sales growth in early 2016.
The privately held […] builder said its sales are up 8 percent in the first quarter […]”
The Diverged ride is coming up quick! It’s one of the funnest of the season. Details here. Well, some details; more to follow soon.
Save the date!
Some logos are funner to make than others.
That’s right, it’s the Massachusetts Tandem Rally – 2016. You can find full details and the registration page here.
When: April 30, Saturday – doors open at 7 am
Where: Ride Studio Cafe at 1720 Massachusetts Ave, Lexington, MA. (339) 970-0187
Why: Tandems are twice the enjoyment on two wheels!
This is so much more than a simple tandem ride. We’re providing a full day of tandem value and offerings:
[click to continue…]
A quick excerpt from a piece I’m writing for the Massachusetts Tandem Rally hosted by Ride Studio Cafe.
All tandems all the time.
Tandems on Display at Ride Studio Cafe
Ride Studio Cafe has some of the best tandem customers. We’ve also specified and delivered an extremely wide array of tandem designs. Some of the tandems you’ll see at the Rally – and designs in which we specialize:
- Custom from the ground up. At RSC this means frame geometry, tubeset selection, every frame feature – from the brake system, gearing options, rider position, and more – and every single part you’ll specify for your tandem.
- Ideal tandem frame material: Titanium and steel. Titanium is the ideal material for a long-distance tandem – when properly designed for each rider; it’s comfortable, stiff, durable, and rust-proof. Steel offers and amazing ride feel and great durability for the long ride.
- Travel tandems: We do a lot of S&S coupler bikes in all styles. Traveling with a tandem is one of the best types of riding we’ve ever had.
[click to continue…]
For the upcoming Massachusetts Tandem Rally hosted by Ride Studio Cafe, we’re putting together a mixed-terrain tandem ride. As far as I can determine, it’s the first of its kind. If you ride a tandem in the woods, I hope you can join us; it’s going to be an amazing day.
The Studio is also hosting two road tandem rides — for the more traditional tandemists. For riders looking for some dirt and technical challenge, here’s the high level information about the mixed-terrain ride:
[click to continue…]
Timemarker: Today my life changes.